Wednesday, November 16, 2011

One Pot Wonder


Today, I bring to you...really terrible pictures and a recipe. This week's classes are all about soup. It's affordable, filling and quick (depending on how you make it). Plus, it only has one pot (plus maybe a cutting board and a knife). As my classes know, I despise those cooking shows where they say you can make a meal in ___ minutes (20, 30, whatever) and then they generate tons of dishes. I don't know about you, but there aren't magical elves in my kitchen cleaning up after me as I go. When I say a fast dinner, I mean the whole shebang.

This particular gem takes about 20 minutes total to make (including clean up). My classes asked for seconds and seemed to really like it. We also had a good discussion about other possibilities for quick and easy soups.

The cost per serving of this one pot wonder (using the broth, spinach and whole wheat pasta) is about $2.25/person. Substituting frozen spinach or a different vegetable or using water in place of broth will decrease the cost.


One Pot Meal: Bean Soup
Serves about 4
Salt/Pepper
Olive or Vegetable Oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 qt chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
1 bunch leafy greens, chopped (or frozen, but decrease liquid in soup to compensate)
1 15 oz. can of beans, drained (I use white beans, but kidney could work, too)
1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes (or stewed) - try to find "no salt added"
1 cup pasta, dried (preferably whole wheat)
shredded cheese for topping, optional
  1. Heat about 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat in a soup pot. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add stock/water, beans, tomatoes and seasoning (salt/pepper and other seasonings you desire).
  3. Bring to a boil. Add pasta and simmer about 8 minutes. Add greens just before removing to wilt.
  4. Sprinkle with cheese to serve.
Optional, for meat lovers: In step one, add some crumbled sausage or ground beef (about 1/2 lb to 1 lb) and cook until brown before adding onion.

2 comments:

  1. I love easy, one pot meals - especially warm ones...and yes, you know I'd add the sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While visiting my parents for the holidays, I took advantage of their well-equipped kitchen to make U.S. Senate Bean Soup.

    ReplyDelete